Professional & Long-Lasting Crown Repair & Rebuilds
The crown or crown wash, the cement covering that rests at the top of your chimney stack, plays a vital role in protecting your chimney system from water intrusion and damage. Each time it rains, snows, or sleets, your chimney crown or crown wash works in conjunction with your cap to keep the interior of your chimney high and dry. Unfortunately, many fail to do their job. Why?
- Poor Construction & Poor Materials – One of the most common reasons for crown failure is poor construction using low-quality materials. A quality and long-lasting crown should be made of cement, but many are made of mortar. Additionally, a crown should be at least 2 inches thick and should extend at least 3 inches beyond the edge of the chimney stack. If the crown is thin and ends at the edges of the chimney stack, it will quickly deteriorate and will dump moisture down into the masonry stack and onto the flashing below.
- Damage – Here in the New York and Connecticut area, we can experience some pretty drastic changes in temperature. When moisture is absorbed by the crown and thermal expansion occurs, the crown can develop cracks and can separate from the chimney stack itself. If not repaired, these cracks will only continue to grow and expand and allow water down into the chimney system.
We Offer 3 Different Repair & Replacement Options
If your crown is in need of repair or replacement, the experts here at Michael’s Chimney Service & Restoration can help. We specialize in all levels of crown and crown wash repair and rebuild and offer our customers 3 different options:
- CrownCoat Elastomeric Sealant Repairs – CrownCoat is an amazing elastomeric product developed by ChimneySaver that, when professionally applied, works to repair and seal minor cracks and provide a waterproof membrane to prevent future crown damage. Because of its elastomeric nature, it is both strong and flexible. This product is brushed on and flexes with the shrinking and expanding of the crown (freeze-thaw/thermal expansion) to keep water out and cracks sealed, time after time. If your crown has developed minor cracks but is otherwise in great shape and properly constructed, CrownCoat may be all you need.
- Pre-Poured, High-Density Cement Crown Replacement – If your crown was poorly constructed or is severely damaged, we can remove it and replace it with a pre-poured, high-density cement crown with drip edge. Our pre-poured crowns are perfect for single flue chimneys and are installed complete with expansion joints and a bond break underneath to prevent separation of the crown and chimney stack caused by thermal expansion. Scaffolding may be needed during the process.
- On-Site, Poured-In-Place Crown Wash Replacement – If your crown wash was improperly installed and is cracked and ineffective, we can provide an on-site, poured-in-place, high-density cement crown replacement, complete with drip edge, expansion joints, and bond break. These on-site replacements are reinforced with rebar and the bond break beneath it protects the chase and prevents separation caused by thermal expansion. 99% of crown washes we see do not include expansion joints, which is why thermal expansion of the flues cause these washes to crack and separate from the chase when the chimney heats up. With a Michael’s Chimney Service & Restoration-installed crown, you can put those worries to rest. The process involves the use of scaffolding and forms are left on the new wash for up to 5 days to ensure proper curing.
Expert Crown Repair Or Replacement Is Only A Call Away
Don’t leave your chimney vulnerable to the elements – if you live in or around Fairfield county call the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA)-certified chimney professionals at Michael’s Chimney Service & Restoration. We’ll provide professional, long-lasting crown repair and replacement work that will keep your chimney system protected, year after year. Call 860-920-9120 or click here to request an appointment today!